Saturday 15 January 2011

January 2011 - Somewhere to let it all out and welcome

I've contemplated a blog many many times.  A few of my internet wierdie friends have persuaded me that may be I should have a blog to just let it out.  Apparently it can be quite therapeutic and cathartic so here I'm giving it a go.


May be I should have started on the 1st January as it's been a busy old month already.  The truth is I should have started a blog on the 14th November 2007 when my world was turned upside down by the premature arrival of my eldest daughter.  Eleanor. 

She will be a big feature here so lets start with a bit of background...

Eleanor was born at 28 weeks gestation by c - section as we were both quite poorly.  Eleanor was very small and fighting to survive inutero it was time to deliver.  She was a teeeny weeny 580g at birth that's 1lb4oz and on the limits of survival.

She was admitted immediately to the Neonatal Intensive Care unit and from there 5 months and 3 hospitals later with several touch and go bumpy moments she eventually came home on Oxygen.  Eleanor came off the oxygen at the end of December 2009.

She has what would have been deemed in the olden days as a "weak chest" and  bilaterally severe/ profoundly deaf as a result of her early arrival.  My blog starts really as we embark on a new and exciting chapter of the route to cochlear implant assessment.

Fast forward to now she's a lively 3 year old who certainly puts us through our paces.  Apart from the fact she doesn't speak you wouldn't know she was deaf.  You wouldn't guess she's 3 either as she's still tiny.

Last year I went through the trauma of being pregnant again.  I call it a trauma as I don't do pregnant very well at all!  Lucy was born weighing 6lb 5oz at 39 weeks gestation and is the big little sister round here.  She'll crop up too I'm sure.

Last year also saw me become a full time Mummy as I was made redundant from the world of Civil Engineering in the summer. 

So this is us.  Welcome along.  It's going to be a bumpy ride hang on!

No comments:

Post a Comment