Wednesday 2 February 2011

2nd February so how's nursery going?

So this blog was supposed to be our route to Cochlear Implants but I got side tracked with other stuff along the way.

The current Cochlear Implant situation is we're waiting for the appointment at Bradford.  We've had the letter from York but need one from Bradford now with a nice shiny appointment date in it.  As soon as we have one I'll let you know.

Eleanor is now into week 4 at nursery and she's only missed a week which isn't bad going really.  She's loving it.  I think she's getting lots oout of it.  Her support is excellent and has been doing lots of work with signs and getting her to stick to task.  A very much needed thing to do.  The parents are starting to realise that Eleanor has a special need.  One has even noticed her hearing aids (well the zebras do stand out a bit) and basically gave me her condolences that I had a deaf child.  I think she was quite shocked when I said there's nothing to be sad or sorry about it's just how Eleanor is.

I had another incident in the playground as well one morning a fellow Mum said to me they're all as deaf as posts at this age aren't they.  Her son was deliberatly ignoring her at that moment.  I think I'd had a bit of an Eleanor get here now moment which had been ignored too.  Anyway I digress my response was yes I know but mine really is as deaf as a post so she has an excuse.  This mum again was horrified she thought she'd said something to offend me I assured her she hadn't and to be honest I'd have been more shocked if Eleanor had actually followed every instruction I'd just given her! 

It's interesting that the parents know Eleanor is deaf they sort of look at me in a poor you kind of a way that I thought had gone away since I wasn't carting a baby on oxygen about.  The children though haven't realised.  There are so many adults in class anyway that they probably don't realise that Eleanor is having extra special attention.  They probably know it's odd that Eleanor doesn't speak but at the same time kids get round it in their own way don't they!  Eleanor is making friends or is starting to play along side the other children.  She smiles at one girl in particular.

I think I need to work on preparing myself more for explaining Eleanor is deaf and I'm not sad about it without having to give her total life history.

Most of all I worry about how having a deaf big sister will affect Lucy when she gets to school however that's a long way away she's not even one yet.

So if you meet me in real life please don't be sorry about Eleanor being deaf and on the verge of profound and needing cochlear implant assessment.  Please enjoy the fact she's here and a total little character that we cherish and adore.  She really is a total total sweetie pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment